I wish I were a better editor. I write a story or a novel chapter, then I—-
- Go over it three or four times
- Show it two different groups
- Then over it again and add many of my colleagues suggestions
- Then apply a series of filters over my work
- The scenes – can people see them?
- The dialogue – is it real?
- The senses – especially the sense of smell.
That’s about it – and I don’t think it’s enough
- Does ever word do some work?
- What am I trying to say?
- Did I read it out loud, like I tell my students to do?
- Is there unity of theme, mood, attitude and point of view?
- Did I use the strongest verbs?
- Can I replace adverbs and adjective with stronger verbs?
What about you? What’s your editing plan? Your editing advice?