In his book, On Writing Well, William Zinsser suggests several items to look at when writing. One of them is unity.
- Of theme – you start talking about traffic problems in your city and drift into a discussion of cars of the future
- of pronoun, you shift between you and I and they and we.
- of tense, Jack swam over the river, he sees the bad guy
- of mood, happy and lite in one paragraph, somber in the next
- of attitude, (this seems to me to be the same as the last item)
- of point of view Very important. Never switch point of view in a scene
Does your writing have unity?